Eighty-six or so nautical miles. Three days of sailing or motoring, with stops in Kingston and Gig Harbor.

The weather was generally great, with a north wind just when needed.

Sailing with main, staysail and yankee jib along the southern end of Admiralty Inlet. I saw six knots a time or two. The breeze eventually died out, and I motored the last few miles into Kingston.

The staysail, and the yankee with all the new hanks I sewed on. Raising the yankee added an instant knot plus to the boat speed. I like that sail.

I stayed three nights in Kingston, first because of a day with rain and no wind, and the next because of a bit too much wind. The following day, however, was forecast for 10-15 knots from the North, all day. So off I went, sailing with the staysail poled out, and making a comfortable 4.5 to 5.5 knots, with the Monitor windvane doing an excellent job of maintaining course. Quite a gadget, that Monitor. I like it. I’ll have to give it name, I guess, which seems to be obligatory. 🙂  I also rigged a preventer / vang for the boom (seen on the lower right corner of the image above.)

Here’s a bit video. (I should have turned off the VHF — sorry ’bout that):

Passing Seattle. Far enough away to not hear the noise. 🙂

There were very few other recreational boats out, but one came close enough for a picture.

Passing Blake Island state park. Quite a neat place. I anchored there and went ashore last year on the way north.

I didn’t have to alter course to avoid a ferry the whole trip, which is like catching all the green lights on the way through town.

It’s a bit faint here, since it was a pretty hazy day, but that’s Mount Rainier just becoming visible in the distance.

Also difficult to spot were the various “speed bumps” floating in the water. Branches, clumps of brush, and the occasional great big honking log, pictured above. It looked to be about 16″ in diameter and a good 12 feet long. Had to keep a very good watch ahead.

Passing Point Robinson on Vashon Island, where I turned from my downwind, southerly course to a beam reach to the west. (Turned right, in other words.) And after a short while, the wind quit — blocked by the island.

But after a bit more motoring, I arrived in Gig Harbor, which is a really cool place. Nice restaurant there, by the way: (El Pueblito).

The next day I caught the start of the flood tide through Tacoma Narrows (7.6 knots… wheeee), but the whole day was near windless, with only an occasional bit of wind ripples on the water. So the new Tohatsu got a long workout, moving SKYE along at a steady 4.25 knots or so. After about seven hours, Olympia came into view. The last few miles it steadily got warmer; had to shed my heavy jacket as it became t-shirt weather.

The next morning, the mast was unstepped at the Swantown Boatyard dock. They have a new travel-lift with a special crane attached which makes dealing with masts much easier and quicker than before.

As SKYE was hoisted skyward, I saw that the bottom paint I applied about 16 months ago did a pretty good job. Mainly a bit of slime and bits of grass.

What did not work so well was the special “transducer anti-fouling paint” that I carefully applied. Probably explains why the speed readout was not working. 🙂

So SKYE is on land for a bit, while I tackle some projects best done in the yard where access is easier. It will be great to have her close to home now, instead of a long (albeit scenic) two hour drive away in Port Hadlock.

All in all, a great trip. I leaned a number of new things about sailing SKYE and improved my handling of various sail combinations.